STRANGER IN THE NIGHT
By Melissa L. Webb
I saw the man again last night. He stands at the end of the driveway, staring up at the house. He never moves. He just stands there and stares.
This is the third time I’ve seen him in the last week. This time I called the cops. They sent someone by, but I knew they wouldn’t find him. He left as soon as I took my eyes off him.
He seems to be here for only one thing and one thing alone. Me. He doesn’t want anyone else brought into this. I don’t know why that is, it just is. What I can’t figure out is what he wants from me. What have I done to draw his attention? I live a quiet life. I bother no one. I keep to myself. So, why does this man stand and stare at my house? What has made me a target for this stranger in the night?
It’s getting late. Night is growing closer. I’m afraid. I know the man will be back and I fear it may be tonight. I should leave, but I know it won’t matter. He’ll find me where ever I go.
And the next time he comes, I know he won’t just stand and stare. I feel the certainty of that deep in my bones. Next time he’s here, he’ll come right in.
© 2011 Melissa L. Webb
- The Dead Guy- Friday Flash (melissalwebb.wordpress.com)
- The Girl Who Isn’t Me- Friday Flash (melissalwebb.wordpress.com)
- Her Royal Highness- Friday Flash (melissalwebb.wordpress.com)
- Memory Flush- Friday Flash (melissalwebb.wordpress.com)
- Images Of The Past- Friday Flash (melissalwebb.wordpress.com)